Thursday, February 18, 2010

A mimir

That's baby talk for time to go to sleep, something parents wish we could make them do when we'd like a rest ourselves! I just found a really lovely recording of canciones de cuna (lullabies) that's kind of like acoustic trance music for babies! The musicians chose instruments perfect for a sort of "sleepytime in the jungle" way to send your little one into slumber. Driver alert: if you play this in the car you may fall asleep yourself...I swear my lids started getting heavy listening.

It's called "Canciones de cuna/Lullabies" aptly enough. You can preview it on cdbaby.

Let me know if it helps get your pequenito a mimir!

3 comments:

  1. Bravo! What great work you are doing! xxx Mary Clark

    ReplyDelete
  2. My baby was transfixed by the Musica Para Mi class. I hope to take her again the next time we're in New York. If we lived closer we'd certainly be going to series of the classes. I facilitate a book club for new parents and we've read at least half a dozen books now that provide research, either linguistic or neurological, that early exposure to lanuage allows for fluent pronounciation that can't be replicated later. Early exposure to multiple languages also correlates with a number of positive outcomes in cognitive development. All this and they have a great time, dancing, singing and playing instuments! Plus compared to other music programs we've done, it's been fun for me too - interesting new songs not the insipid stuff one often hears. Keep up the great work Graciela! And what a fabulous assistant too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thanks so much, Naomi, it's nice to know I've got fans outside of New York City! And such knowledgeable ones!

    ReplyDelete